What Can You Cook in a Pizza Oven?
Pizza is loved worldwide. So much that pizza ovens have become a common appliance in outdoor kitchens. With these hot appliances, you can recreate that slice of pizza you tried and loved at that New York pizzeria. These versatile appliances are easy to use and will have you making pizza like a professional in no time.
You might be wondering if this type of oven is worth the hefty price tag. After all, even the biggest pizza lovers couldn’t eat it every day. But, you’ll be surprised to know that pizza is only a fraction of what you can make in a pizza oven. There are so many different options and recipes available.
In this post, we’ll go over the different foods that can be cooked in a pizza oven, followed by some of our favorite recipes!
Foods You Can Make in a Pizza Oven
One of the biggest perks of pizza ovens is their versatility. Just like a standard oven, they can pretty much cook anything you would like. However, because of the high temperatures reached by pizza ovens, you don’t lose the flavors and nutrients as you would in a traditional oven.
So, what can you make in a pizza oven? Here is a list of the foods you can easily cook with this sizzling appliance:
- – Vegetables
- – Baked/grilled fish
- – Slow cooked meats
- – Smoked and barbecued meats
- – Flamed ribeye steak
- – Jacket potatoes
- – Flatbreads
- – Calzones
- – Cookies and breads
- – Stews and casseroles
- – Hot desserts
- – And so much more!
With a pizza oven, you can be as adventurous as you want. They are the perfect companion for cookouts or camping trips. No one will ever go hungry with these outdoor ovens.
However, you do want to adjust the temperatures depending on what you’re cooking. For example, if you’re roasting vegetables, cook at a temperature of 600 to 650℉. But if you’re making dessert you want to use a lower temperature like 300 to 350℉.
Practice makes perfect and this couldn’t be more true for pizza ovens. Even our team of pizza pros have to experiment with certain meals to get them just right.
Recipes to Try That Aren’t Pizza
Finally – the part you’ve probably been waiting for. What can you cook in a pizza oven? There are so many recipes available that don’t involve pizza. Here are two of our favorites:
Wood Fired Marinated Chicken
While your pizza oven may be small, it can produce huge flavors. A juicy marinated chicken is great for lunch or dinner.
- – 4 chicken breasts
- – Extra virgin olive oil
- – 3 tbsp lemon juice
- – 3 tbsp soy sauce
- – 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- – 2 tbsp brown sugar
- – 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- – 1 tbsp honey
- – 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- – Large pinch of salt and pepper
- – Fresh parsley to garnish
- Stir all of your ingredients in a bowl and marinate the chicken for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat your pizza oven.
- Warm up your oven tray for one minute in the oven. Take out and place your chicken on the tray. Be sure to pour over any leftover marinade!
- Cook for about 20 minutes turning the tray every five minutes.
- Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes, sprinkle with fresh parsley, and enjoy!
This is the ideal companion to any cookout. However, these hotdogs aren’t like the traditional ones you’re used to having. This recipe will give your guests a gourmet experience they won’t forget any time soon.
- – 12 hot dog rolls
- – 12 BBQ sausages
- – 4 large, peeled onions
- – ½ cup wheat flour
- – 4 cups of rapeseed oil (or any other flavorless oil)
- – Salt
For your accompaniments you’ll need ketchup, mustard, pickled red onions, and pickled mustard seeds.
- Heat up the oil to 320-340° F in a pan.
- Slice the peeled onions in half and then into small pieces.
- Mix the wheat flour with some salt and turn the onions within the flour mixture.
- Fry the onions in the oil. The oil will start sizzling so use small portions!
- Once onions are golden, remove them carefully and place them on a paper towel.
Now for the rest of this meal, you want to grill your sausages until they are crispy, golden, and warm. Then, quickly heat up your rolls and place the sausage on top. Garnish with your favorite toppings and do not forget the delicious fried onions you worked so hard to prepare!
With a pizza oven you can have pizza for breakfast, hotdogs for lunch, ribs for dinner, and to top it all off, some toasted pineapple or s’mores for dessert. There is no limit to the foods you can make – we just encourage you to ensure you’re using the right temperatures to avoid burning your meals.
Tempted to give a wood fired pizza oven a try? Check out our reviews on the top models around to make an informed buying decision.